Friday 19 March 2010

Heamochromatosis


Not heard of it before? Not many people I know have!

This is the hereditary blood disease that my husband suffers from and if you click the link above it will take you to an explanation of what it is.

As you will read in the article.....whilst there is no cure there is a treatment that involves taking blood from the person periodically to artificially reduce the high levels of iron that accumulate

........I know.....sounds archaic.....brings to mind Victorian medicine & leeches!!

Under normal circumstances............if detected early enough the condition will not necessarily shorten your life.

Unfortunately by the time my husband was diagnosed 7 years ago a great deal of damage had already been done.

His condition might have gone undetected even then due to a combination of factors colliding at the same time, one of them being pneumonia that landed him in hospital......however he was lucky.......as it turns out we have one of the leading experts in the field based at our local hospital.


That was 7 years ago and now he has to return to hospital.
Please read the
Heamochromatosis
web site......you never know.....someone close to you could possibly have this without them necessarily knowing.

I don't post about really personal things here as a rule but felt the need to share the info

..........it just might be a help to someone out there :)
xoxo Sioux

7 comments:

  1. Oh goodness me, your poor hubby. So glad you have an expert locally, it does make such a difference. Here's hoping his stay in hospital won't be for too long and that it helps him.
    Sometimes you have to make personal posts. I have occasionally done it myself xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right decision to share this on your blog & bring it to people's awareness. I am so sorry to hear your hubby is suffering from this & I hope all goes well for him at the hospital. Thinking of you both right now. Best wishes.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey i am so sorry to hear this news. I do hope that your husbands hospital brings some relief to him. I have had a read & so glad that you have found somewhere local to help him. Thinking of you darl. Hugs Clare xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much be a very hard situation for both of you. Hope that he can get help and stop any further damage. Thanks for sharing the link. Hugs Anesha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen

    I am sorry to here about your husband. My son has this or something similar - his condition has developed as a result of the huge number of blood transfusions he had 12 years ago as part of leukaemia treatment. He is currently having blood taken weekly to try and reduce iron levels. He is 30.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg Jen I had never heard of this disease...Im so sorry to hear your husband has it and has to suffer the treatments...my heart goes out to the two of you...thank you so much for having the courage to share this on your blog
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. believe it or not this runs in my family. we had no idea until my 23 year old daughter was diagnosed a couple of years ago. rare in a person her age. since then i also found a cousin of mine has it. we now have all got tested and so far no one else has it. wish your husband good luck. i know that things can be tough sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.....I truly love to read what you say....it keeps me sane(ish)!
xoxo