Thursday 13 August 2009

To Thine Own Self Be True

Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch'd, unfledg’d comrade. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel but, being in,
Bear't that th' opposed may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man;
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower, nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell; my blessing season this in thee!
William Shakespeare - Hamlet Act 1 Scene iii
I am pondering.......I love that word in fact I like it so much I will say it again!....I am pondering the reason for my blog. I started out with the intent just to record what I have made and quite frankly did not comprehend the interaction that might follow........then I discovered Challenges!!.......the source of inspiration is amazing and I was caught up in a frenzy of "challengitis"......
so many blogs to visit so many people who deserve a comment.........
so many things to make..............
so little time to devote to making them......
as Mr Micawber said "result misery!".......
and burn out......which is what I think I am suffering from at the moment.
I came across the quote above the other day and was reading it whilst subconsciously thinking about blogging and it seemed to me that old Will could have been writing about blogging, challenges, commenting and the rest!!!
Is it me and my imagination........which can get the better of me LOL.............or can you see a connection in there too?
Imaginatively yours
Sioux
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. You are definately right about this!! lol..I set up my blog for the very same reason and as you say we discovered 'challenges' and then we saw what others create and got the bug....then theres the 'oh what lovely paper/punch/image/ribbon..I must get that' syndrome..(or that could be just me!! lol). But I do sometimes think to myself..what can I do/make next and when that happens..I know the mojo's gone..I used to work in a craft shop a few years ago..when I first got the job I thought I died and gone to heaven..then after a few weeks..the mojo died and I made nothing for weeks and weeks..I realised that I was 'crafted out' lol..as soon as I gave up the job, I was fine...
    regards
    Jan..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..sorry about your sad day...
    hugs
    Jan..x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh this made me sad to think that you are feeling so low. You more than anyone has helped me with blogland. You inspired me to get to grips with it. You are my first blog friend and always will be. However I do know where you are coming from and to greater or lesser degrees I know we have all been there.
    There are so many goodies out there it is like being in a sweetie shop for kids. What I suggest is to go through all you stash and stamps. I did this recently and came across the Italian window view and the sculptured heads. Get out some colours you do not usually use. Have a play.
    When I haven't been creating for a while I find it takes ages to produce anything I like. I feel I have lost the plot. It is like a high wall you have to get over but keep going it will happen, you may just not make anything you like for several days and things don't seem to work even techniques. Yes it is horrible and you feel nothing will ever work again. But it will, just keep going.
    When we return from Hols I could look out some stamps I don't think I will use again and post to you. See if this feels like you have new toys to play with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya sweetie, keep smiling, i think that we all feel like this at one time or another.. i know i do and think exactly the same thing.. Have a break hun and see if that helps..
    big cyber hugs Rachxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe Jen sending you BIG ((hugs)) wish it was a whinberry pie. :-D

    Not sure if you know I live in Accy!!

    Hope you find your mojo soon hun. I can definately relate to how you are feeling. I have done exactly the same thing.... getting caught up with challenges & blog hopping.

    Email me anytime. Would be great to chat.XXXX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.....I truly love to read what you say....it keeps me sane(ish)!
xoxo